Saturday, March 26, 2005

Sleep Study

Andrew and I got to enjoy All Childrens Hospital's hospitality on Wednesday night. Someone wanted our June 30th date, so we got their spot. We headed over to St. Pete on Wednesday night and checked in. Our "sleep tech" then proceeded to wire Andrew with all kinds of stuff (see picture). There are actually all sorts of things hooked up under his pj's as well. This process takes about an hour, and he glued all those things to Andrew's head with ether glue (i.e. really really bad smell). As you can also see, this ticked Andrew off rather significantly. But, it also succeeded in wearing him out. It took about a half hour to calm him down, but then he was out. I got to "sleep" in the standard hosptial-issued chair that pulls out flat. The room was sound-proofed and all the lights were out since they use infared cameras, which I thought was really cool. If I had a bed and Andrew hadn't woken up at 4:30 in the morning, it probably would have been an excellent night of sleep. We checked out around 7 am and were home by 8. The tech would give us absolutely NO information, other than to follow up with our doctor. I know that is what they are supposed to do, but usually you can weasel at least a little info out of them, but this guy had been in the business for 20 years and he wasn't giving up anything. He spouted something about analyzing 1000 pages of data and a pulmonologist looking at the results. So, we wait...more details in a few weeks.