Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Girls Night Out? Boys Night in!!

I am married to the most wonderful woman! (This is Jeff writing, by the way). Last week Molly went out with a couple of girlfriends, and I got to hang out with all of my boys for the evening as she was due for some female adult conversation!

If anyone would have told me ten years ago that I would now have 4 children, I would not have been surprised. I always expected that I would grow up, get married and have kids. Molly and I both grew up in large families, and like Andrew, we are BOTH the youngest of 4 siblings. I never would have predicted the path we would take! It was nearly 10 years ago that I sat across the desk from a doctor who recommended that if I wanted to have children, I should call an adoption attorney. It was an option to which Molly and I were open, however, God had plans and a timeline of His own.

The rest is history and now I am humbled and blessed to be the father of 4 beautiful boys. It had been a couple of weeks since my emotions overwhelmed me and I felt like I was beginning to regularly maintain composure. . .

. . .until Boys Night In. . .

I wrestled with Blake and Jeffrey, put together puzzles with Brantley and gave Andrew a bath. Blake and Brantley went to bed and I was left with Jeffrey and Andrew. Two down, two to go! Jeffrey took a shower and climbed into his bed and I laid Andrew in bed next to him.

I left the room and as I returned, I could hear Jeffrey singing scripture verses to Andrew.

Life simplified . . .

When when Molly and I were struggling with infertility, I clung to a chapter in Deuternomy that has become my life passage. I feel like I could write a book describing how God has spoken to me over the years through these words. Chapter 6, verse 5 is the Great Commandment, "Love the Lord your God with all of your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." One of the main themes of this chapter is the importance of teaching my children not only the commandments of God, but also the meaning of His commandments. I have a responsibility to teach them about what God has done for us, and to teach them about how much He wants to bless us.

Hearing Jeffrey that night made me think of the journey over the past 10 years. It made me think of all of the family and friends that prayed for us, encouraged us and stood by us through everything that has happened--many of you are reading this blog! I have no idea how we could have stood strong without the support of our family and our church. And most of all, how could we cope without God? His word has given us strength, and I know it will so the same for our children.

I wonder what will come of the next Boys Night In? I just hope Molly gets to see a better movie!!