I am constantly amazed by the highs and lows of parenthood. Sometimes my days look so alike that I wonder if one is really different from the other. The feeding, bathing, nap time, drop off at school, pick up from school, pack lunch, change diapers, change diapers, change diapers is just so repetitious. Thank God for babysitters and an understanding husband or I may just lose my mind. It has been one of those weeks. You know, when people say, I'm having one of those days, well, I had one of those weeks.
So, here is the week in review. I was back at All Children's with Andrew to repeat his hearing tests. He responds to my voice, so I really had convinced myself that we were going to dodge the hearing loss bullet. Well, he hears in his right ear, or as his report says, "can rule out all but a very mild loss in the right ear." He failed the two different tests they performed on his left eary, so the report reads, "cannot rule out hearing loss in the left ear." What is so amazingly frustrating to me is that they really don't know more than we did when he failed his left ear test when he was two days old. They now want him to have an ABR test done, but this one requires that he goes in the hosptial and be sedated. Most kids can have it done in the clinic, but since he has Down Syn., they want a doctor to put him under in a hospital setting. He is only two months old, for goodness sake. I, obviously, am not thrilled at the idea of this test, and we are praying through if we are even going to have it done or not. He seems terribly small for such an intense poke/prod of his little ears. Maybe it is just the mama in me, but we will see.
Between that and the loss of our nanney, I have been a little wound up. Jeff might even say that I have been a lot wound up. We did, however, try to have some fun this week. I got a girl's night out which was fun. (side note - do NOT go see the wedding date - totally dumb movie - even for a chick flick.) Brantley colored with blue marker on Jeffrey's wall - Brantley loved it - Jeffrey was ticked. Jeff and I got to go out with friends this week - yeah - two weeks in a row! I planted a garden at school with Jeffrey - that was actually a lot of fun. But most importantly, I beat Jeff and Jeffrey at game cube. I celebrate on behalf of all women who have been beaten by their children at video games. I have been playing with Jeff and Jeffrey since Christmas when we got the thing. I lose - every time. We play this racing game and I always came in last. I am finally getting better - and this week I actually won - a true highlight of the week. Even the boys were happy for me. Jeffrey wouldn't let Jeff laugh at me, "don't hurt mama's feelings!" he said - very cute stuff.
Oh, a final classic line from Jeffrey this week. I had promised him that I would play game-cube. I was talking on the phone while rocking Andrew in the nursery. Jeffrey comes in and says, "hey, come on, you can bring the phone and blah blah blah while we play." blah blah blah!!! Has he been watching Seinfeld??
Tomorrow is another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment