Sunday, May 01, 2005

Confessions of an Addict

Jeff and I went to Sunday School this morning after church. The walls did not shake and fall down as we headed up the stairs (we have not been in a really long time). We really enjoyed the class we went to, good teaching, friendly people, etc. The teacher asked who watched reality TV. My hand shoots up. I love the stuff. So there, I confess I am addicted to reality TV. No one else in the room seemed as enthusiastic about it as I am.

Now, I don't watch the junk on MTV, but I do plan my very exciting night life around American Idol, The Amazing Race, and Survivor. Oh NO! I have turned into one of those vapid housewives who knows more about TV trivia than the world news. It is a little distressing to me. I remember when the first season of Survivor came on TV. I was working full time, it was BC (before children). I listened to talk radio in the am on my commute to work. I knew about local and world news and politics. I was the inside source on the 2000 election. I KNEW that everyone who was watching that show had to be dumb. I tried to watch it one time, and thought, who can watch this stuff??? As I write this, I think who WAS that woman? Where did she go? Now I can tell you about Bo Bice on American Idol, Joyce and Uchenna on Amazing Race, and that Stephanie got voted out of Survivor last week. (totally unfair, by the way.)

The discussion this morning touched on the fact that reality TV has NO true reality in it. But, I could have told you this fact. Because this fact is why I watch it. I deal with plenty of reality. My life is real world enough. To enjoy American Idol or Survivor, I don't have to have a referral to a specialist, fill out a developmental evaluation on any of my children, tweek oxygen levels on my infant, worry about huge adnoids on my two year old, or discuss deep thought issues with my six year old. I can watch Amazing Race without thinking about anything other than the amazing scenery these people are seeing. I don't care if the shows are rigged or if what the people say is incorrectly edited. I anxiously await the ABC expose of American Idol, because at the end of the day, I truly do not care if the phone lines are rigged, or if people are voting for Scott just to make the show interesting. My house is quiet, kids are sleeping, Jeff is usually catching up on some work (even though, he will watch Amazing Race sometimes - don't tell :)), and I can sit with my feet up, a warm blanket and a cold diet coke.

One day my babies will be big and I will have to be places I am sure, but until then, you know where to find my on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings. Just call during a commerical, please.