Saturday, May 14, 2005

What a difference a day makes...

Jeff and I had a great time in Orlando. It took an amazing amount of work to pack up Andrew (diapers, oxygen, monitor, swing, clothes, formula, port-a-crib, etc) and Jeffrey to go to their Aunt Janith's. We didn't have to pack for Blake and Brantley since they were staying home with Kara. We got them all dispatched off to their various locations, grabbed some lunch and headed to Orlando about lunch time on Monday. Tuesday was bliss. The weather was perfect. I sat by the pool, read a book, slept late (9AM), and we went to dinner at Emeril's. We headed home on Wednesday after lunch. I could have stayed a week, but it is a good thing we didn't.

The boys were happy to see us, hadn't really missed us, and all seemed well. Till Wednesday night. Andrew has another cold. His O2 saturations bottomed out all night, and we almost ended up in the emergency room. He got sicker by the minute. I'm glad I was rested since I got about 3 hours of sleep. We went to the doctor on Tuesday. We started breathing treatments, and his oxygen requirements were higher than they had ever been (even in the hospital.) We started him on steroids to dry his lungs, but he threw up the medicine. I was on the phone with the doctor on Thursday afternoon.
Finish his breathing treatment and try to get the medicine down him again., the doctor says.
By now, Andrew is running a 101.3 fever.
What if the medicine doesn't stay down?
We'll have to admit him. He kindly tells me. Let's not mess around with this.
Oh, the difference of a day. Was I really sitting by the pool just 48 hours ago? I was grateful I was home, but oh so weary of this.
He kept the medicine down. We avoided a hospital admit. I was so relieved.

He has responded quickly to the steriods, and had a good night on Thursday. It's Friday, and Andrew is somewhat better.

So, what now? Brantley throws up and starts running fever. I swear, I am not joking. Jeffey comes and tells me that either Brantely has "barfed" or he has pooped all over his bed. He is highly excited by the gross-ness of it all. So, I clean up barf, love on poor Brantley who is burning up with fever, and pray for the day when they all out-grow this stuff.

Jeffrey has the fever tonight, but the others are improving. He is old enough to barf in the toilet, and is content to lay on the sofa and watch TV. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

I'm posting some new pictures. Our anniversary is Monday - 13 years! Kara is staying with the kiddos (if they are well) so Jeff and I can have a date. It won't be Emerils and a night at the Hyatt, but every Tuesday night can't be that great.

oh, Andrew rolled over tonight! I'm rambling now, so I'll log off.