Sunday, May 22, 2005

You are my favorite.

It was really easy to decide who was our favorite child - when we only had one! I want to write over the next few days about why each of my children are my favorite. It will go something like this..."Brantely is my favorite child...etc". Which led me to thinking...Is this right or fair? Can I really deem one child my favorite??? I believe the answer is yes. You see, I am my parents' favorite child, and Jeff is his parents' favorite child. Now, don't get your knickers all knotted up. I am sure Susan, Ross, Stuart, Gregg, Jenni, and Vicki (our siblings) would tell you that they, indeed, are the favored child. We are each the favorite in our own unique way, so each of mine can be the favorite as well.

When you are the favorite, you feel you can ask for special things. When you are a favored daughter or son of God, we are told we can approach the throne with boldness. I think of Mary and Martha and of Mary's brother Lazarus. When word got sent to Jesus that Lazarus was sick, the story reads, "the one you love is sick." I read that as - hey - your favorite needs you! It goes on to say how Jesus loved Mary and Martha and Lazarus, but he stayed where is was, "for God's glory." Jesus told them why he was staying, but they just say delay. When you are the favorite, when you ask, you expect answers. I know they did not understand why Jesus would delay going to their sick brother.

Now, you know the rest of the story - Lazarus dies, and the favorites basically tell Jesus, hey, if you would have showed up this would not have happened. Jesus is so moved and so compassionate towards them. It says that he wept, was deeply moved, and that he loved them. I am struck again by his words in John 11:40, "...if you believed, you would see the glory of God?" and then he raises Lazarus from the dead. wow.

I honestly don't always understand the day to day stuff, but I am learning to look for the glory of God - to believe and see the glory of God. I am the first to cry out to God and say, hey, your favorite needs you! But God says, wait for my glory.

I am not His favorite by anything I have done, but because he first loved me. I sing to my children, "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so." What I am singing to them is, you are God's favorite, and I am God's favorite. John said a few chapters before this, "God so love the world that he sent his only son that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life." So, I think we can all be His favorite.

I know I must be His favorite, or He would not have sent Andrew to us. Jeff and I had dinner together last night and we marvel at the way God has already used him to change our lives. Some unrealistic expectations for our other children have been stripped away. Our schedule has been simplified. For once in our lives we are not so BUSY. And the list goes on and on. I look forward to sharing why each of my children are my favorite, but I wanted you to know that even though I am God's favorite child, you are His favorite as well.

No comments: