We all survived our school's fundraising dinner! The banquet is over and was a huge success! We raised lots of $$$, had a good time, and we all got along - pretty amazing, huh? I am grateful that it is over and I can resume normal life again (whatever THAT is).
We had a great Thanksgiving - yummy turkey - and casseroles that oozed calories, but at the end of the day I got to thinking how powerful being grateful can be. As we have forged ahead with the challenges laid before us this year, we have purposed in our hearts to be thankful.
My dear friend, Rhonda, (hi, Rhonda, will call you soon!) sent me a care package after Andrew was born. It was one of my favorite memories of those trying first days. In it was a little book called, "breath prayers for mothers," a package of tissues (for those days, the note read), and a journal. In her note she told me to write down five things a day that I was thankful for - five things. The idea had been given to her when her sweet son, Matthew, had been diagnosed with diabetes at age 4.
Her note read...
my dear friend, Congratulations on all four of your little miracles! I've learned that it's the one(s) who need you the most that convince you that everyday miracles and His amazing provision for every need are ours. Use this to record five blessings each day. Your children will have it as a record of God's amazing grace, and you can remind yourself that He is El Shaddai, The All Sufficient One. (Gen. 17) (She's a winner friend.)
I wish I had been more faithful about doing it everyday, but here are some early entries...
I am blessed today because Andrew's heart is normal...because Andrew has learned to drink from a bottle...that I have an amazing husband who loves me and my children...that I have a friend I can share my hurt with...that we have been given good advice...etc
Just her sweet note can give me a good case of the sniffles, but what is more amazing to me is how being thankful changed my heart. The simple exercise forced me to SEE God working in my life. I would not wallow. I would look. I would look and seek and search out HOW God was working, and that helped my heart heal from being broken. It helped (and still helps) heal the wounded places.
It makes Thanksgiving so much more than turkey and family. We can have that any day of the year. But a healthy, thankful heart requires some work, but it is well worth the time. What are you thankful for?
6 comments:
I'm thankful for finding your blog and the inspiration you've provided. I'm thankful for my 7 month old twins and my 2 1/2 year old. I'm thankful that God trusts me with His children.
Hi, I followed the link from Tertia's blog. I'm also a mom of four boys :D Crazy-wonderful isn't it?
I am thankful for my husband, my 5 kiddos, journaling and blogging, praise and worship music, coffee with peppermint and mocha creamer, the cooler weather, and the reminder to write down what I am thankful for on a daily basis. God is good =)
Thankful for my children, for their trust, for being able to provide for them... Thankful for learning to be a single mother no matter how tough it seemed in the beginning.
I'm thankful for Molly! :-)
Jenni took the words out of my mouth. Molly, I think that all of us who are blessed to know you and to see the work that God had done in your family over the past year should thank God for putting you in our lives. Thanks for always being an inspiration to us. We love you and are glad that you are back blogging!!!
Post a Comment