Sunday, August 06, 2006

My feet hurt.

I have taken a million steps in the past four days with caring for the crew and the wedding. I have loaded and unloaded the car more times than I can count. And now, my feet hurt.

The wedding was simply glorious, and Jenni was a stunning bride. The rehearsal dinner was dreamy and romantic and the wedding day was as peaceful as a wedding day can be (from my point of view - have not asked the bride and groom yet). We (me and Jeff) did laugh ourselves to sleep last night joking about what Jenni and Jim were doing (ha-ha). When we got married, Jeff's family met us at the airport the morning "after" and, at 19, I thought I might die of embarassment. I find it much more humorous now (14 years later). We spent the day recovering. I had borrowed china and vases from various friends and family members, so I washed and boxed, washed and boxed all day and have now packed the last box into the car for a Monday delivery. whew. Am very glad it is over. All that partying can make a girl weary.

I did not take pictures and am very sad that I did not get a picture with me and Jenni nor one with just me and Jeff. We did do a family group shot so I guess that will have to do. So, I can't post a picture of the bride or me in my fabulous new top I bought - one that the drycleaners lost and then found (thankfully).

Jeff is tired of being an invalid and all the crutching wears him out. We are stealing a few days away together at the end of the week - 1) because it is our nanny's last weekend, and 2)so Jeff can rest before surgery. When he stands a lot his leg still swells terribly, but today it was elevated the majority of the day and it looked so much better.

We have less than two weeks before school starts and I have a ton of paperwork to fill out, uniforms to buy, shoes to find, and children to re-program to get back on a school-time schedule. The twins went to bed at 9:30 tonight and Jeffrey finally hit his bed at 11:00, so we have quite a bit of adjusting to do! I probably hate it more than the kids becasue I do enjoy the relaxed pace of summer.

With the wedding behind us, I need to concentrate on Andrew's therapies (and therapists) with my new-found knowledge. I was asked to call a woman who is pregnant and the doctor suspects that the baby may have Down Syndrome. One of the things that I learned in Atlanta was that some cities have a "first alert" type of program, where moms with kids with Downs are "on call" to doctors, hospitals and churches so that a mom with a new diagnosis has someone to talk to or call. We don't have that here (that I know of) so I want to look into what all that would take to get going. That first year is so tough and I wish I would have that kind of resource. So with the idea of always leaving something better than I find it, I would love to be able to get a program like that up and running for all those who come behind me.

whew, and I thought the wedding being over was going to make my life easier! I just re-read my post and it made me so tired I must get to bed!