Thursday, July 27, 2006

hmmm...not sure where to begin

There was concern that once I left town and was alone that I may not return! I am back in town, and have certainly hit the ground running. The conference was great and I have lots to say about it, but that is for another day. I got off the shuttle to the sight of my five men waiting anxiously for me. Jeffrey had made me a sign and note. Brantley couldn't stop grinning at me. Blake was glad that all was right in the family world, and Andrew was tickled to see me. Jeff did not even look tired, but he is super-dad (and I mean that seriously). Even he admitted to missing me. As fabulous as the break was (and I may have to schedule one more frequently), I did miss my boys and all that goes with them. The house was amazingly clean, and I was surprised at how quickly I could adapt from reading quietly by myself on the plane to feeding and putting all the kids to bed. whew.

Jeff's sister is getting married next week, and I am the offical gopher, helper, whatever you want to call me. I love a party - especially a wedding - and especially Jenni and Jim's wedding - so it has been fun to be part of the planning before the big day. It seemed so far off for so long, and now it is SO CLOSE! We are tying up loose ends and looking forward to next weekend.

I took two weeks off of therapy for Andrew. We all needed a break - him - me - the other boys - all of us. It was well-timed with me going to the conference. I learned so much new info and have much to discuss with each of his therapists, but need some more time to pray through and think through how I want to proceed.

Jeffrey has been in basketball camp this week. His coach from school basically hosts a "clinic" for anyone that wants to come and play for 2 1/2 hours in the afternoon. We show up with his friend Scott in tow to find that all the kids are teenagers. Jeffrey is 7, Scott is 6. They are both up to the challenge and the coach didn't care. He had them doing separate drills and practice stuff, but Coach told me that the "little" boys said they could keep up and he let them practice with the big kids. It made Jeffrey and Scott feel way cool and very grown-up. They are both sports nuts, and it has turned out to be a unexpected summer high-light.

So, here is the news - since we are speaking of the unexpected. Our Sunday School class at church (about 100 people - all couples most of whom have lots of kids) rented out the roller skating rink. Jeff LOVES to skate - was a speed skater during his school years - and we made it a "family date." We were going to leave the three little ones with a babysitter, but could not find one, so the six of us head to the rink. I decide to chase Andrew and the B's, but Jeff spends the extra $3.00 to rent "speed skates" which have leather boots and better wheels. (whatever that means).

Can you see where this story is going? We have been there for about 30-45 minutes. Andrew is TICKED because he BADLY wants to get on the skating rink. He is arching his back, crying, etc. He may be speech-delayed, but he is NOT communications delayed. Blake is CLINGING to my leg begging me for skates. Jeffrey is near tears because his cousins brought their roller blades and are skating well and he is stuggling to stand. Brantley is going a little wild wanting to play video games or run on the rink in his sox. Jeff is hot-dogging around the rink and sees me stuggling with the kids. As he comes around the corner to help, he crashes. I am embarassed to admit that I laughed OUT LOUD and was wishing for my video camera. It was funniest home video material. But then, he did not get up. I look over and he looks pale and he mouths to me "I think I am hurt." This is a man who is NOT a complainer and has an amazing pain tollerance.

Like gawkers at an auto accident we all go and hover over him as he removes his skate. His ankle is already twice its normal size. "probably sprained," Jeff declares. My brother walks over and looks at it. "Dude," he says, "I'm going to take you to the ER." We declare this skate party offically OVER. Jeff literally cannot move. He tries to stand but looks like he might barf or pass out. The little boys are still freaking. We all quickly decide that I will evacuate with the three little ones; my sister-in-law will take Jeffrey and her kids; and Stuart (my brother) will take Jeff to the ER. I have logged plenty of hours in emergency rooms, but the idea of me and all our kids in the ER is more than anyone can bear, so I agree to the plan and take the little screamers and leave.

Long long story short = broken ankle in 3-4 places. Jeff has won the next 4 days in bed with his leg elevated and iced (not to mention pain pills, the lucky dog), and a trip to the orthopedic on Monday. IF he is healing nicely (which we are praying he is and would ask that you do to), he will be put in a cast for the next 4-6 weeks. IF he is not healing nicely, he will have to have surgery (including pins/plates - whatever you do to an ankle). Did I mention that his sister is getting married next week?

so, hmmm, it is what it is, and I am somewhat speechless. Oh, and my sister who lives in Indiana is coming in town. The last three times she has come in town, someone in my family has been in the hospital - not my extended family - MY FAMILY - Andrew twice, Brantley once, and now Jeff. I called her and asked that she please go to Barbados for her next vacation.

1 comment:

barefeetbilly said...

G-Whiz Jeff I am sorry to hear about your injury. Hope it all heals good as new.