Wednesday, March 29, 2006

A logistical NIGHTMARE...

Jeff and I are taking off for Savannah, Georgia tomorrow morning. 4 days. No kids. Bliss. That is, if we ever get there!

Kara, our nanny from last summer is coming home from college to care for the kiddos. She is a doll and the kids will all be thrilled to see her. Since she hasn't kept them in a few months, however, I have left her 11 PAGES of notes. How crazy is that?? I used to be famous for handing Jeffrey over to anyone who would take him with a bottle in one hand and a diaper in the other. No instructions. No notes. Here he is. Give him benadryl if he breaks out in hives. Seriously!

Fast forward 4 years, three more kids, one with special needs and you have yourself a logistical nightmare. I almost took a picture of my "to-do" list so you all could see it.

Here is a sample...
Cancel Andrew's physical theraphy appointment
reschedule speech therapy
check on approval for occupational therapy
take Brantley to his pre-op doctor appointment
pick up Jeffrey's prescription
drop off dry cleaning
grocery store
buy gown
hem gown
buy shoes
buy new bra
take movies back
drop off taxes to accountant
mail the mail
write up schedule for the kids
arrange for Jeffrey to go to baseball practice
arrange for Jeffrey to go to baseball game
pack clothes
pack makeup, etc.
leave kids health insurance cards
get horny.

Oh, wait, I didn't write that one. Jeff did. It was the only thing he really wanted on my to-do list. Ok, I'll see what I can do about that.

And the list went on and on and on...

But, at the moment is is all checked off. The babysitter is confirmed. Our bags are packed. The pantry is full. The kids all went to bed healthy. A weekend away shouldn't be this hard. We can hardly wait to go. We love our little darlings very much, but mommy and daddy have not been away together in FOUR YEARS. I would slap a friend if they told me that. Get it together!, I would say. You must. I guess we have been too busy having babies and sick kids.

We are going to a formal dinner Saturday night - black tie. Jeff goes shopping and, in about 10 minutes, gets fitted for a tux. I took a girlfriend to International Mall, and in about 3 hours, tried on every dress in the place - at least 5-6 stores, and at last count - probably 80 dresses. It is prom season. I felt like a 33 year old woman trying really hard not to look like a hooker or a woman in mid-life crisis with something to prove. Grown women should not be made to go to prom! At 8:55, Neiman Marcus came through with a beautiful green and gold dress - very elegant - not at all hookerish - at least I hope not. It is by a very posh designer and I found fabulous beaded gold shoes to match. I do love shopping for shoes.

I also did get a bit tickled at our nanny Kara when I talked to her tonight. She is looking forward to a weekend at home with the boys - "a break" she called it. How taking care of 4 small kids for 4 days = break, I am not sure. But I am thrilled she thinks it is! It is why we love her. She loves our kids like they were her nephews = us loving her like she is ours!

The camera is packed, and I promise pictures of our very glamours night out! If we can make it through tonight without fever or barf, we are out of here! Jeff and I were rocking the little ones tonight. They smelled all yummy of baby soap and were all snuggled in our laps. We sure will miss the little buggers like crazy and probably will talk about them the whole time we are gone. Well, not the whole time.

See ya next week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am jealous! ENJOY!!