Thursday, September 01, 2005

Good News

Blake is doing great. His gunky adnoids are gone, and hours after surgery he was eating, playing and talking. We thought we would get one day of him lying on the sofa wathing Veggie Tales. We thought wrong! Hopefully his poor snotty self will dry up soon. We are so pleased at his quick recovery. Thank you for your prayers!

Andrew got a new physical therapist this week and he is awesome. He really put Andrew through the paces doing his assessment, but Andrew loved it. He loves the hands on interaction and seems to love being challenged to do new things. We are working on his trunk control, so Larry showed me exercises for him to do. All I can say, really, is that Andrew inspires me. He works so hard and is so eager to please. His little face lights up when you praise him. He had speech therapy this morning. He really likes the lady who works with him, and he seems a little unsure who he shoudl flirt with - her or me.

I took for granted that my other children would sit, crawl, and speak, but not this time. We celebrate and work for every milestone, and it makes each one sweeter. Each movement, each bite, each sound from his mouth gives cause for a smile.

There has been a shift that has gradually taken place in our household - and that is one of pride. Our pride is no longer in the achievement itself, but in the effort that is exerted. With my first (and second and third) child, I was quick to see where they were on growth or developmental charts, and would proudly claim - he's in the ____% of this or the _____% of that. My child can do this, or my mild child can do that. Now I am more proud of how hard they work and the motives behind the effort. When the attitude of the heart is pure, I'm proud - no matter the outcome. I hope this shift is as liberating for my children as it has been for me. Thank you, God, again for Andrew. Where would we be without him?

1 comment:

Ida Marie said...

Molly,
He is the sweetest of sweets. Little Andrew is such a joy to all of the lives he comes in contact with. I love watching all of the women in the preschool getting excited along with you guys. Who cares when they others start moving or talking or whatever, but when Andrew rolls or scoots or makes a little babble, we all cheer and talk about how great he is doing. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of the life of this special little boy.
I love you guys,
Ida