I over-sleep after a 1:00 am bedtime (WHY do I do this to myself?) and we are rushing out the door. I am to help get costumes on and Jeff is on SAVE THE SEATS duty as this performance is better attended than the superbowl. I rush into the sanctuary looking for my charming husband and home-schooled son, whom I am sure are saving seats down front. NOTHING. I dial his cell and I get the news that he is still circling for a parking space. I would like to say that I displayed patience and loving behavior, but instead I got pissed (sorry) and take my place on the aisle in the LAST ROW of the church.
My mom comes, the J's (Jeff SR and JR) get settled and I try to keep my head from spinning off. I take a deep breath, say a quick prayer, and remember that this is about Jesus and Blake and Brantley singing of his birth and learning about the real meaning of Christmas. I apologize to the J's for being a grump and settle in.
Brantley was splendid in his purple crown and robe - and thrilled to have a prop. Blake, thrilled NOT to have a prop was delightful in his shepherd garb. The narrator (not one of my children) took a deep sigh and announced that the wisemen brought gifts of gold, frankensince, and MURRAY which got a good chuckle from the audience. Four songs later, pictures taken, and whew, we are done. The kindergarden sits down and the 3-year olds start to go up to sing.
Realizing that we are, indeed, on the BACK row and seeing other kindergarden parents in the lobby, we discover that we don't have to stay to listen to the 3-year olds and 4-year olds sing - so in Christmas love, we slip out and surrender our standing room only seats to some other parents.
I would post pictures, but out camera battery is dead and the charger is missing (don't even get me started) so we borrowed my FIL's camera and I don't have a cable to upload/download (not sure really which) the pictures of my very handsome nativity figures. I had worked so hard to get their hair cut (both of them) so they would look handsome and well-groomed - and they both wore HATS (or crowns). I am sure there is a lesson there about pride, but I don't even want to think about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment