Sunday, August 24, 2008

The "soft" opening

before the homeschooling first week saga, here is the latest addition to the Voth family (not a puppy or baby!)


So, have you ever heard of new restaurants or hotels opening - they call it a "soft" start or a "soft opening" and that is what we decided our first week of homeschooling was.
Enter cancelled school for Andrew with hurricane Faye (it did not rain), add Blake and Brantley still at home (school not started yet), add my work, and then subtract out all the help I had over the summer, and what, class, does that equal??? One hell-of-a rough week.
We only had tears once - Jeffrey's - not mine - I did not have time to cry, but we did start, and as anyone who has ever tried anything new, sometimes starting is half the battle.
So, start we did.  We learned a lot, worked through some bumps, actually accomplished some stuff, re-arranged some other stuff and we are ready for a new week.
We are deeming this week a soft week as well since Blake and Brantley don't start till after Labor Day. So, the week has a full schedule of lesson plans, but hair-cuts and kindergarden open house is thrown in there as well.
I will say, that in the moments that we were actually curled up in a chair together and learning new stuff, it was fantastic and I am so glad I am doing it.  In the moments that Jeffrey was actually playing with his brothers while I was working, I loved it.  On day two, when the house was trashed and I was overwhelmed, hmmm, not so much.
More tales from the trenches this week I am sure!




No comments: