Sunday, August 17, 2008

First Day on the Job...

I don't know where I first heard it - or if it is something crazy that only my crazy family says, but, have you ever heard the phrase "nervous as a whore in Church?" The very phrase evokes the image of a back-row, nervous nelly, sweating, knowing that she is where she is supposed to be - but at the same time NOT happy about being there?? Well, this home-school gig I have taken on - I am officially as nervous as a whore in church!

The books are bought. The first week's lesson plans are done. Jeffrey and I even made a last minute run to Office Depot today for additional supplies. My clothes are laid out. The house is clean. I am caught up at the office. But, I have to say, when I pulled it all out tonight to lay it out for our official "first day", I thought I might have an anxiety attack.

Jeff is off at the Buc's game, and he will be glad he was gone for my obsessive attention to detail.

What seemed so laid out on paper, suddenly felt very very very overwhelming. Our devotion and prayer time in the morning is dedicated to verses on prayer and planning - that the Lord determines our steps - but we also must be diligent. I decided our memory verse would be, "Enthusiasm without knowledge is no good- haste makes mistakes." I am afraid that I have too much work for him to do - then am equally afraid that I don't have enough work for him to do. What if we HATE it?? Or (even worse) what if we LOVE it??? I have always thought of this as a one year-gig. My brother tells me that I can re-enroll at regular school anytime during the school year.
So, say a prayer for me on Monday as I put on my teacher cap! We are organized and all systems GO! (we might take Tuesday off for a Hurricane Party!) I don't think I will share with Jeffrey the whore in church example for our first day nerves!!!

On another note, Mr. Andrew heads back to school tomorrow with his new uniform! We went to meet his teacher on Friday. She is young and full of energy and is exactly what he needs. She is unmarried and teaches fitness classes at the YMCA AFTER teaching special needs kids all day. How is THAT to make you feel old and tired??

Two more weeks before the B's head back to school to start kindergarden. (sigh). How did all my babies get so big??

No comments: