Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Andrew

So for those of you who don't actually see me on a regular basis - I noticed that the last time I talked about Andrew was in the midst of the agony of transition time from the Early Steps program (the one that handled all his therapy) to the public school system.


so, we all survived it and it has been the best thing for him. I praise God for paving the way for him - well before I even think of things!


His IEP meeting (individual education plan) - [great - a whole new set of abbreviations that I get to learn] - was LONG. A good friend advised taking a special education attorney with us. It was fantastic advice since the meeting lasted 3 hours and I would have shut down if he (the attorney) had not been sitting next to me. I was well prepared with my list of requests and notes of what he should be doing and what we wanted for him. Two hours into the thing, I told Jeff - childbirth is easier than this - at least during childbirth someone will give you drugs!!


There was only one person there that was an ass - sorry - but she was. She bascially said that if individual speech therapy had not "fixed" him by now, why would we bother to keep at it?? umm, hello??? Now, I am all for throwing out a plan that does not work, but if you are dieting and exercising and slowing losing weight each week, it would be like someone saying - well - you aren't thin yet, so just stop what you are doing. It makes no sense and my attorney ate her for lunch. I love a well-matched confrontation and it was a bit fun to see the sparks fly.  That is, of course, when I did not want to cry.


We had a long debate over the difference between a HOP and a JUMP (yes, I am serious). For the record, a hop is one foot in the air - a JUMP is both feet off the ground. Also for the record, Andrew can hop but cannot yet jump.


We walked away a little battered and bruised with a request for some independent evaluations to be done, but other than that, things were ok.


The important thing is that Andrew has an amazing, wonderful teacher. It was important for me to let her know that our fighting for services for Andrew had nothing to do with her or the job that she does. I just want everything that Andrew needs and I certainly don't expect her to do all the work. It does take an amazing amount of people to raise my family! I don't even want to add up all the teachers, doctors, therapists, family members, baby sitters, friends, etc. that keep our group going.


So, long story, not so short, Andrew started public school in January at the ripe old age of 3 years one month. He has a back-pack and school shoes. He waits in the pick up line and gets a hug from the lunch lady every day. He is the youngest member of the school since other children don't start till kindergarden. There are 6 kids in his class and he has been invited and attended two birthday parties. The other kids are fantastic and the little girls think he is their real life baby doll.


Since starting school, he is being potty trained, has taken off with his vocabulary, and is generally growing up nicely. He is becoming a big boy. He has taken a turn in maturity and has gotten a "green light" for behavior each day. I love that his reports tell us things like, "drew on the paper today - not on the table." Jeff wanted to know how he could draw without a table?? No, I told him - it means that he only colored on the paper - he did not color on the table!

He thinks that he is way cool and we do too.

Way to go, Andrew.


No comments: