Are you back yet?
Did you even get yourself something to drink? Come on now, you can spare the five mintues.
Ok, back now? Good.
Sooo, let's start where we left off. Gasparilla. I did go. I did run. I did finish. It was the coldest run in Gasparilla history (or so we were told), but we did it anyway. I have to say - it felt fabulous to do it. Really, though, the toughest part was getting there. A special thank you to my friends who ran with me. I would not have finished as strongly without you. It was a great memory and my only New Year's Resolution. Yes, checking that off the "to-do" list feels great. I have not run since (more on this later) but will get back into the groove soon.
I was very proud of my medal and race number. I felt all official. This may sound simple - but the only thing you have to do to be a runner - is run. I don't "feel" like a runner. I don't look like a runner, but I do own the shoes - and I do run (even if it is not well) - and so I qualify. I think we beat ourselves up with lies so many times - "I'm fat, I don't excercise, I'm not an athlete, I'm not kind enough" or whatever your personal battles may be - that we forget who God has made us at our very core. There is something very revealing about running - and I always wonder when I go - what am I running from? And, more importantly - what am I running to? These two basic questions usually tell me a lot about where I am at for the moment - and where I am headed.
Am I running to God for refuge, strength, encouragement, help, affirmation and acceptance? I don't mind running away from failure - or running away from bad habits - but I can't run away from home (not that I would want to - well, at least not on most days) - and I can't run from reality - it always catches up with me eventually. Oh, and I don't run with makeup on. Here I am - home and happy - take note of my totally cute new jogging suit. I have owned a million of them but had never run in one before - quite comfy - I must add.

So, that was in February - as was Jeffrey's 8th Birthday! I cannot believe that my first baby is eight years old. I'm getting ready to ramble about him - you may need to refill your diet coke. ok, just had a sip and am back.
I LOVE this child: here he is when he was three...

doing the booty dance at around four..
by the date on the picture - here he is around six years old...
and here he is at eight.
Eight. Surely I am not typing that. Seriously, I just blinked and he turned EIGHT. I really could write on and on about Jeffrey. This is my disclaimer - he is mine - and surely a mom can write about how wonderful her child is, can't she?
So - here it comes - beware - lots of mommy brag coming. However, he truly is an amazing kid. He is so stinking smart that it alarms me at times. School is easy for him - math, reading, memory work - all of it. He never has homework and he rarely studies. He started piano this year and is naturally good at that too. He loves sports and he loves hanging out with other kids. He is constantly asking for play-dates and sleep-overs and will happily leave home for days if an aunt or uncle will take him in! He loves video games - and says that he hates reading - but if he has a book he likes, I catch him in bed at night reading with a book light.
I think what I love so much about eight, is that he is (finally) not physcially exhausting to parent. He takes his own showers (in the morning, I might add) brushes his own teeth - can make his own juice - get ready for school -pack his own back-pack - clean his own room. Now, this trade-off means that he is more emotionally and intellectually more difficult to parent. He wants to know WHY and he picks up on everything! He wants ME and my TIME. He wants us to put the boys bed early every night so he can have us to himself. He loves to play games and cards - and watch TV. I love that he watches shows that I enjoy - and listens to music that I like. He is maturing - and takes correction now without having an explanation for everything. He is all boy - and still loves all potty words. He does not like roller coasters - being scared - or being hurt. He will, however, do something dangerous - fall - and perk back up saying "I'm OK!" He tolerates his 4 year old brothers and adores his Andrew. He really does love the twins - when they are not "annoying" him. Blake, who looks just like him, wants to be just like him. They play ball together. Brantley and Jeffrey build legos together, and, of course, they all wrestle!
He is a great big brother - and has a tender heart and sensative spirit. If I am having a bad time with something, he will quietly come and put his arms around me. He loves to laugh and he loves to hear stories about when we were kids and when he was smaller. He is an amazing lego builder and works well and quickly with his fingers. He adores his daddy and is generally a lot of fun to be with.
So happy birthday, sweet Jeffrey. I love you very much.
I'm off to do the late night breathing treatment on Andrew, but will leave you with the last of the February highlights - Valentine's Day. I LOVE preschool when it comes to holidays because the kids come home with the cutest stuff! So, here are the little Valentine twins...I sure have enjoyed our soda and visit. I hope to chat again soon.
My Blake...


and sassy Brantley.
2 comments:
Congrats on running the race! What a great accomplishment!
You do a better job of undating your blog then Jenni :) She's still on her honeymoon.
Thanks for inspiring me to lose weight and inspiring me in my daily walk!
Kim
8!! The Scary man doesn’t feel very scary anymore...just old.
Post a Comment