I get asked this question a lot when someone is brave enough to call my house.
It goes something like this:
Caller: "Oh, I'm surprised you answer the phone. Is now a good time to talk?"
Me: "There really won't be a better time, so sure, now is good."
This is a theme that has become prevalent in our home - wondering about timing. If you think about it, when is a good time for something to occur? When is it convenient? I was talking with a girlfriend this week about working in a time during my day to exercise - nothing amazing - just like, 45 minutes to walk. She very sweetly (as all good girlfriends do) said, oh, now is not the time for you to worry about that. You have other things to worry about. Ahh, the mercy of girlfriends.
However, it makes me think - when IS a good time? When is a good time to take care of myself? When is a good time to spend with my kids? When is a good time to have a date with Jeff? When is a good time to spend with a friend, my family, ministry, etc.? When is a good time to cry? When is a good time to grieve? When is a good time to discipline? When is a good time to pray? When is a good time to worship? The answer, my friends, is NOW.
There will never be a better time to start living life than right now. Too many times we think that we do not have time to handle something. We put it on a shelf for later. Later is not when you want to figure out what you believe. The time is NOW.
We never attend church, do a Bible study, have a quiet time, etc. thinking "one day something really crappy is going to happen, and I am going to need strong faith for that." But how often do we wait until there is something that we can't handle to turn to God? Do we need a 9/11 or Tsunami experience to decide what our belief system is? I hope not.
I am so grateful for every hour, every minute that I have spent with God - for every hour and minute spent with my husband. because NOW is NOT the time to figure out what I believe. Now is not the time to decide if my marriage will last. It is the time to LIVE what I believe.
Emotions and feelings certainly have their place in my life - and they have tried to take their toll on my 7 week post-partum self, but now is not the time to live on emotion. It is the time to live on the fact of God's Word and the promises that He makes. It is because of these precious promises that I can get out of bed in the morning and choose to live life, and not be run over by it.
Let me tell you a story about my day today. Is there ever a "good" time to find out upsetting news? Of course, I ask this question is light of my own circumstance and in light of my past circumstance. But it could be anything. When is a good time to find out you have cancer, your spouse has cheated, your mom or dad is sick, etc?
My OB/GYN doctor asked me a question today:
Him: " Can I ask you a personal question?"
ME: (my first thought was, I have no underwear on, so sure, you can ask me whatever you want.) What I really said was: "yes."
Him: "Are you glad you did not find out about Andrew's diagnosis till after his birth?"
ME: "Yes, I would have just worried myself into a fit. That would not have been the right time for me." So, more thought on this whole timing issue.
But there is more to this story than my doctor's curiosity and concern. You see, he had just had to tell another lady that her baby to be born has Downs. One appointment before mine. My doctor is a believer. (my appointment had to be re-scheduled from the previous week, so this was certainly turning into a divine appointment). I wonder what he was thinking when he saw that I was next on his patient roster.
Back to the story:
Him: "would you mind if she called you?"
ME: "of course she can call me. I wish Andrew was with me so she could wrap her hands onto my precious son and know that she can love her baby and that she will be ok."
And so ministry because of Andrew continues...
Deuteronly 30:19 says,
"I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.
Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to Him."
I am holding fast to you, Lord, help me to choose life.
No comments:
Post a Comment