Monday, February 02, 2009

Student of the Month!

So, to be perfectly honest, I was terrified of sending Andrew to school. I cried the entire day after I VISITED the class - terrified because he was so little. I did not know these people - they did not know me or Andrew. Would he obey for them? Would they understand what he was saying like Jeff and I do? But more than anything - would he be loved? Would he feel safe? Would he be able to "do" school???

So, Friday was as big a day for me and Jeff as it was for Andrew. He can do school. He can do it and do it well (at least for now, and that is all that matters). He got picked to be student of the month for his class. We got to go to a little award ceremony - where he was presented with a certificate and pin. Lots of families were there. Andrew clapped for himself - it was very sweet. The teacher writes a paragraph about the student.

Here is what she had to say...
"Since the first day of school, Andrew has been a star in our classroom. He is helpful to his friends and teachers and is always ready to have fun! Whenever we need a laugh, we turn to Andrew! He comes to school ready to learn and gives a smile from the minute he steps into the classroom with his waffles. A day without Andrew is honestly a boring day in PreK!"

yes, he does eat a waffle in the car EVERY morning on the way to school. If he has not finished it, he carries it in with him!

A shout out of thanks to his teachers and the school staff for having a warm and loving environment for my child. He LOVES going to school and feels like such a rock star there. As a mom, I am very very grateful. After being a part of private schools, home schooling, etc, I have been more than impressed with our local public school and the care and services they give. But that, is a subject for another blog! This one just celebrates Andrew. Way to go, sweet love!



No comments: