Monday, July 07, 2008

liar, liar, pants on fire!

Brantley lies.  I know what you are thinking - he is young, innocent, surely he cannot be telling lies - umm, yeah, he lies.  We have talked with him and prayed with him about telling the truth, but yesterday, we pulled out the big guns.
We had made a trip to the Lego store to the delight of everyone in the house.  We spent a rainy Sunday afternoon in corners of our home building and building and building.  Andrew got a police car.  Blake had me build his (he assembled the tires).  Jeffrey was hard at work on a project that a civil engineer would have trouble completing, and Brantley was finished with his dump truck and fire truck and trailer.  Lego bliss was everywhere.
I hear Jeff give Brantley his allergy pill and vitamin and then I hear him tell Brantley to get in the bath.  I am sitting in the bed being the parts assistant to Jeffrey when I see Brantley run down the rall, head into my bathroom - I then hear a small "clink" - and then I hear Brantley run to the other side of the house and happily announce to Jeff, "I took my vitamin!"
This chain of events seemed very suspicious to me so I headed to investigate.  "Brantley, where did you put your vitamin?" I ask him (not angry - not happy - in a very neutral - give me some info tone).
You would think he would feel remorse, repentant, guilt over being caught - something - but all he does is grin at me and Jeff.  Jeff, sensing that the truth is not in the blonde child with the cute grin - asks him again.  No response.  Just grins.
"Did you throw your vitamin away?" I ask him. He looks at me like I have grown a third horn on my head and that I must have mystical powers of seeing through walls.
He confesses to chucking the vitamin and Jeff brings down the hatchet.  His beloved lego creations that he has labored over all day - are taken away.  sigh.  drama.
Blake, sensing that someone is in big trouble - walks in the room and proudly announces, "I ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH.  I DON'T LIE."  We tell Blake that this does not involve him and to get out.
Brantley takes his punishment like a man and hands over the goods.  Jeff takes them to his office for 24 hours of solitary.
Brantley gives word that he will not lie again. 

At 1 am I hear the pitter patter of little feet.  It is Brantley - wanting the comfort of the big bed - his own personal way of showing he is sorry.

They are all complicated little people.  Tonight after bath, the legos were returned and all was well in his world again.  As we tucked them in bed, we asked if they had had a good day. "Nobody lied!"  Blake announced.  A good day, indeed!

In other news, we pulled the toddler bed out of the attic the weekend to let Andrew give it a whirl.  He completely fills his crib, but we wanted to see if he would actually stay in bed before jumping off to the true big-boy twin bed.  Little bugger stayed in bed for his nap!  Then again all night for bed!  He thought he was way cool - and his big brothers made over him and his accomplishment of moving up in the world.  He stays in his room when he wakes up in the mornings until someone goes in and tells him he can come out!  If this continues, it will be nothing short of a bed-time miracle because the transition all our others has caused drama galore!  However, taking the last crib out of my house when I was used to three, then one, now none???  Sigh.  Drama of a different nature.

No comments: