Sunday, April 13, 2008

A kinder pace of life...

Andrew moves through life at his own pace with his own agenda. I suppose we all do, but he seems so determined about it, that it has become admirable. He is a happy, compliant child, but willfull at the same time. What I love about him is that he is fully involved in whatever he is doing. Sometimes I will be talking to Jeff, my family or friends, anyone really, and you can totally tell that they are not focused on you - their mind is elsewhere - reading email - folding clothes - planning the next thing. Andrew enjoys the moment that he is in and I am getting better at that too.

We spent the morning on Jacksonville beach. I love the beach - especially this time of year. The breeze was cool, the sun and sand warm, and the east coast waters were rushing to the shore calling surfers to come out and play. We walked like a line of ducks down the board-walk to the sand. Jeffrey out in front - frisbee in hand - focused on capturing Daddy's attention first. Next down the line was the twins - Blake - anxious by the sight of the waves and wind - but not wanting to show fear to Mr. fearless Brantley who wanted to chase the waves. I think the two of them ran a mile running towards the surf as the waves pulled away from the shore then shrieking in delight as they came crashing back - chasing them down. I am reminded of the verse that talks about nature declaring the majesty of the Lord. There is nothing like standing by the ocean - standing in awe of the power of the water, its strength, and beauty. I loved watching it on my children's faces ~ knowing that they were seeing it too.

We settle and sunscreen quickly. The frisbee is thrown and the B's and the waves are playing tag. Andrew stands and soaks it all in. As we were walking down the board-walk, we are met by a tatooed group of surfers. These four guys with their tans and sun-streaked hair are heading back to the parking lot to get their boards. Andrew greets them with a smile and a wave, "HI!" He is so friendly and so dang cute, that even the tough tatoo boys can't help but smile. One of them stops, "what's up, little dude?" said in surfer lingo. (think hot Australian guy) "can you hit me high five?" Andrew slaps him five and keeps on moving.

As I pour a fresh diet coke, Andrew flirts with the cute girl in her black bikini who is sitting with her mom. She is about 19 and stops reading her book to watch him. He is analyzing the feel of the sand on his feet, grabs his brother's flip flops and takes off on a walk. I let him go, shadowing a few yards behind him, letting him enjoy the freedom of being outside - sand dunes high on one side and waves crashing on the other - and an ever so odd collection of beach-goers between the two.

One concerned mom sees him walking and looks in a panic for where the kid's mom is - relieved to see that I am close behind. We share a smile of "whew, at least he is not lost look" as only moms can do and we make our way down the beach. Andrew tires after a while and looks to me to haul his 36 pound self back to our blankets. I prop on my towel to watch Blake and Brantley battle the waves that are relentlessly chasing them, and Andrew props next to me. He pats my face with a sigh, and says, "mama" - his new addition of vocabulary (I have been ba-ba for the past three years).

We don't last too long on the beach - maybe two hours - before starvation seems to attack us all. Blake collects his beautiful shells in a cup, Brantley takes on one more wave, Jeffrey one more frisbee throw. Andrew tells the ocean, "bye-bye water" and also feels the need to tell the cute chick in the bikini "bye-bye" as well.

Our rosy cheeked crew piles into the van in fresh t-shirts and starts belly-laughing at old Tom & Jerry episdoes on the DVD. Jeff glances in the rear-view mirror. "look how beautiful he is" he says. "which one?" I laugh. "all of them." It was a good spring break day.

No comments: