so, here goes summary to get you all caught up...
- crazy fun summer - 4 boys - lots of sun - lots of time in the pool - quick cruise to the Bahamas just me and Jeff and 3 other couples - will have to post pictures of this - we all looked quite fabulous - did a formal night and all that stuff.
- boys are back in school - Jeffrey hit the 3rd grade - sigh - and loves to wear his hair long. He has 18 webkins and can build a small city in legos. enough said.
- twins - are in different classes which = separate birthday parties - meaning they get invited to separate parties - they will have to share on again. This has proved to be quite interesting. I think they are loving having some time to be just themself - but we still find them snuggled in the bed together.
- Andrew - more on him later
- Jeff - still working from home which I LOVE. I can leave a sleeping child here and go pick another one up from school. I think this might have saved my sanity this year.
- Heart & Home- my business is in its second season and is going strong. We have had 2-3 home shows each week and are working on the web site. Ok, Jeff is supposed to be working on the web site, but we haven't had time, so maybe .... oh, we'll get around to it.
- me - no races or Muddy Buddy adventure courses to report. We laugh about it but have not commited to anything yet. I need a race so I can set some goals. My legs have not pounded the pavement running since July - boo - so need to work on that.
alright, so sorry about the bullet point summary of life at our house, but, well, it is the best I can do.
so, back to Andrew.
Andrew is still a doll and a ton of fun. He is doing great at school and loves to play cars and go see Pap-paw and Pap-paw (which is Pap-paw and Mam-maw, but he calls them the same name). The crazy part of dealing with Down Syndrome seems to be getting ready to start. He turns three next month - don't even get me started on this - how can my baby be turning three?? The issue is that the six hours of week of therapy he has been receiving goes away. He transitions out of the state Early Steps program and the school system "takes over" his case. While we thought this would be an easy transition, the system - don't know what else to call it - has made statements like "oh, he won't qualify for ______ service" - when they have never laid eyes on him. We have been assembling his advocacy team and actually spent three hours with an eduation attorney this week.
I have to stop here and ask the question - "where the heck was this info in the parenting book?" Oh, wait, there is not a parenting book about this. Or, if there is, I have not found it. You know that you would totally step in front of a bus for your child, but you never expect that you really have to. The meetings and fights of this week alone have been exhausting, and I thank God for the people he has dropped in our lap to help. On attorney day, I decided that I had enough. I did not want to fight. I wanted to pack up my kids and go live on an island and live off love. I hated Down Syndrome and the issues it brings. I hated the system and what I had to fight against. I hated the emotional toil it was bringing on my family. (as a side note, I do not blame or fault Andrew for any of this - totally not his problem - he is just a high maintenance little cuss).
So anyway, I am ususally not one for much of a pity party, but I was all done. The kids have had dinner and I needed to escape. But where? Where do you go? My closet called, and I curled in a ball on the floor of that blessedly quiet, dark, room and prayed. I did not think much - did not really care about much - I just took a break. My only concern was that I would not leave the closet, but hoped that I might start to smell or be missed after a few days, so I did not linger on that concern for too long.
At some point, Jeff missed me, and I guess had heard me go in. Wise man that he is, he opened the door and saw me lying there. Oh, no, I thought, please don't try to make me feel better. I am so enjoying wallowing in my own little space. All he said was, "Can I get you a pillow and blanket?" I knew there was a reason I married him.
I eventually came out of the closet - and directly hit the bed. It is amazing what a night's sleep will do for your perspective. A wise girlfriend suggested a shower, makeup and great outfit - why that changes things, I don't know, but that helped as well.
There is no battle this weekend - just a final round of soccer games and time with my boys. I'll try and catch up with some pictures. We have another round of evaluations on Monday. We would appreciate any prayers for these. Andrew is a riot for these sessions - he totally loves a room full of women clapping for anything he does. Pray that he is able to receive the services he needs and that Jeff and I have the wisdom to know what to fight for and what path to tread for him.
I promise pictures and more updates than once every 3 months! Well, promise may be a strong word - how about I'll try??
2 comments:
Just on a whim I checked in with you tonight...it is great to hear what is going on in the Voth family. We'll be praying for you and Jeff as you try to navigate your way through the systems.
Oh, I have missed you!
Welcome back!
Tell us more about your business!
Post a Comment