Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Voth Family Adventure

The Voth Family Adventure
Ahh, today was the first day of preschool for Blake and Brantley. They had nametags, lunchboxes, woobies (their favorite blankets thanks to Nana Helen), new hair cuts, new shoes, and they were OFF! Our school has a drop-off program (thank you!) where you pull through the line and they have volunteers that usher them to class. We had a big talk about this - had watched Jeffrey do this - and they were ready. Blake had a small moment when he got out of the car where he declared, "wait, you need to come too!" I replied that, "mommies were not allowed and that I loved him - be a good boy." With that, they both took off with a complete stranger to go to school.

Here they are - ready in the car for the drop off line...

I freely admit that when I took Jeffrey for his first day of Pre-K-3, I cried. I remember calling Jeff from the Burger King parking lot, boo-hooing that my baby was in school. So, please hear me when I say, I am not a cold-hearted b..ch, umm, stone. HOWEVER, I thought I might break into a dance as they wandered through the doors. I did not giggle (out loud) at the mommies who had dropped their darling off, circled the parking lot and were then standing on the sidewalk crying! (ok. maybe I giggled a little). I glanced at Andrew in the rear-view mirror and he broke out into a grin as if to say, HA, just me and you, lady. We went to Bible Study and came home for a speech therapy assesment. He was thrilled to play trains ALONE.

When I got home, we discovered that the ST (speech therapist) had cancelled due to a sick kid (hers), so we were free. What - free?? Andrew was dead asleep in his bed and I had TWO HOURS of free time. I had millions of things I could have done, but I piled into bed and ate lunch ALONE. Yes, folks, ALONE, and it was divine. Andrew was exhausted and I watched What Not to Wear on TLC - and did I mention that I was ALONE??? My cell phone rang and I was terrified that it was school calling with an illness or some disaster. Thankfully it was my brother checking to see if they were really all at school (at least 3 of 4). "You made it," he told me. Yes, I did, indeed.

The buggers don't have school tomorrow, and I have to say that I am glad. We are all very tired from the whole experience. I'm not sure who is more tired - them or me!

We have been busy moving kids' rooms around - cleaning out and putting things up. We have seen the glider rockers and cribs go to the garage. We only have one crib in the house - not three. Sigh.

Oh, we are still hauling Jeff and his broken leg around. We left the house at 7:30 AM this morning and I think logged about 4 hours in the car between errands, two schools, and a work drop-offs and pick-ups. This is what 4 hours in the car looks like when you are only a year old...

1 comment:

Tertia said...

hahaha Molly, how absolutely divine!

but where is the pic! all that alone time has fried your brain

xx