Monday, January 16, 2006

Nature vs. Nuture.

There used to be a big buzz (not sure if it is still around) about boys and their nature vs. nuture. That is - do they behave like boys because we encourage them to, or because that is who they are? Some wack-a-doodles wanted to dress boys in pink and make them play with dolls to see if it would change who they were. I say a boy dressed in pink would just roll in dirt so he looked brown, and he would then go to war witht he dolls. I could absolutely prove the case for nature - it is the way God wired them - and my influence has no effect what-so-ever. I am a lone ranger in my all-male household, and I find myself having conversations that I never thought I would.

For example -
Blake (sitting on the toilet) - makes a LOUD toot. He laughs hysterically and declares to me - FUNNY TOOT, MAMA. ahh, yes, Blake, funny indeed. I would have to argue that no one taught the child that a toot is funny. He found it quite funny all on his own.

Jeffrey thinks anything with the word, "poop", "toot", "butt", "rear", or the ever funny, "wiener" is the funniest thing he has ever heard. He makes toot sounds with his hand and arm-pit, and finds it oh so funny when I tell him to "haul rear-weiner" when he is running late for school. If I ever need a quick laugh, I just need to say a potty word, and it sends him into hysterics. Go figure.

Brantley- while in the tub- asks me to sing a "hiney" song (that is another word for butt). He giggles uncontrollably as I was and sing, "wash-a wash-a the hiney."

Now the final case for NATURE was tonight. Blake was sitting naked and ready for his bath as I finished feeding Andrew.

I Naked. says Blake.

Yes, son, you are.

I have a PEE-PEE, says Blake as he grabs and shows me his business.

Yes, son, you do.

My PEE-PEE is BIG.

sigh, yes, son it is. God bless your wife, son.

Nature. Case closed. I did not teach this stuff.

2 comments:

Ida Marie said...

Men are men regardless of age and you get to experience that first hand every day. May God give you a little extra wisdom as you deal with these 4 boys.

Anonymous said...

That is soooo funny. Ahh, the things I have to look forward to as my one year old son starts talking. And I know every word is true--I can see it coming already. Thanks for the laugh..